We have had great feedback from many of the providers who attended the Coding and Documentation Seminar led by Dr. Anthony Hamm. During each session, we have seen a lot of participation between chiropractors in our network and Dr. Hamm, with many questions, specific concerns, and good discussion. Following are details about the seminar. More information is available here.
Logistics: The seminar will be offered on Sept. 7 at Northwestern Health Sciences University. The seminar is a 4-hour session, and is offered twice: 8:00 – noon OR 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. You attend only one session. Call 763-204-8570 or toll-free at 1-866-714-0524 to register – space is limited!
FREE CEUs: Chiropractors in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa will earn 4 CEU credits by attending one session. Unfortunately, CEUs are not available for chiropractors in Wisconsin.
1 Prize Awarded at Each Session: There will be a drawing for an e-reader during both sessions – and the winner must be present to claim the prize. Make sure to register and attend the seminar for your chance at winning an e-reader!
Following are some of the issues that will be discussed in the seminar.
Common errors found during audits:
Insufficient documentation to support the use of 98941 and 98942 CMT Codes
- Use of 98941 requires areas of subjective and objective findings related to 3-4 spinal regions
- Use of 98942 requires 5 spinal regions.
The ABN MUST:
- Provide reason the service is not covered (i.e. Medicare does not cover maintenance)
- Advise beneficiary of financial responsibility, specifically list each service cost and the time frame of treatment
Signature missing on SOAP notes – these must be signed by the provider
- Electronic (typed) signature is not sufficient, must include signature image, initials or be accompanied by a Signature Attestation or Signature Log
- Guidance Documents
Other missing information
- Clinic or provider identification on each page and clinic form
- Incomplete/illegible/incorrect patient identification or date of service Diagnosis
- Medical necessity of the services billed is not supported
- Missing or incomplete information on date of service
- Goals for treatment
- Treatment plan
Helpful links from the ChiroCare website:
Other helpful links:
1. The Strategic Chiropractor – “What Chiropractic Errors are costing You: 2011 Update”
2. Chiropractic Economics – “Big Risks for Small Practices.”
3. OIG Report – “Inappropriate Medicare Payments for Chiropractic Services.”